Frequently Asked Questions

Navigating planning applications can be difficult if it’s unknown territory for you. That’s why we have answered some frequently asked questions.

How can Suller & Clark help me?

Maybe you’re thinking of applying for Planning Permission for a piece of land or a development but don’t know where or how to start. Maybe you’ve applied for planning permission but issues with the proposal have been highlighted by the planning Authority    Or perhaps you’ve applied but been refused and want to appeal the decision. Perhaps you want someone to advise on whether a land parcel has any development opportunity. These are all situations where we can help.

I own some land/property and want to know whether I could develop it?

We can assess at the land/property in relation to the Local Development Plan for your area and advise you whether it’s likely the local authority would support the type of development you would like to promote.  We can help you with Pre-application requests to the local authority to get the fullest advise back.

How do I make a planning application?

We can help you through the process.


Although we don’t prepare plans, we work with a team of professionals including architects, drainage engineers, ecological specialists etc. who can assist in managing any pervieved constraints such as   topographic surveys or more detailed studies such flooding/tree studies/environmental surveys etc. At each step we can advise you what’s required. We can prepare a Planning, Design & Access Statement to support your application.

What type of planning application should I make?

This is very much dependant on the nature of the proposal for example an application for a single house – Planning Permission in Principle would outline the site only, deal with drainage/water/access, but would not include a detailed house design or layout. If this is approved the Planning Permission in Principle consent would last for 3 years, in that time you will have to submit a detailed MSC (Matters Specified in Condition) application setting out the detailed design and layout and any other matters which need to be addressed.


Alternatively, from the start you can make an application for Planning Permission which includes all the details above plus the detailed design and layout.

planning consultant karine suller
planning consultants karen clark

How long does my planning permission last?

Planning Permission normally lasts 3 years. It is a legal document and once it expires there is no guarantee that you can get the same planning permission again, so watch those dates.

How can I object to my neighbours planning application?

We can help in preparing letters of representation (objection or support) to a planning application, picking out the key planning details and assessing against the councils policies.

My local council are calling for LDP bids, what are these?

If you own land or have an interest in land, you can make a bid for your land parcel to be considered for development in the future, as part of the LDP (Local Development Plan) process.   That bid might be for a residential or commercial development, or a mix, or something more specialist. We can help in the preparation of your bid, it is a lengthy process, not a short term fix.

I’ve been told by the local authority that my application is a Major Application and needs a PAC, what is this?

Major Applications are defined by legislation, due to their scale.


Before submitting a Major Application you have to go through a 3-moth lead-in process of Pre-Application Consultation (PAC) with the local authority and community. This often involves holding public events to engage with the local community, seeking their views, attending community council meetings and listening.  We can help in hosting and attending these events and in the final preparation of your PAC report, which then accompanies your planning application.